Tuesday, March 25, 2014

A THOROUGHLY MODERN EXPERIENCE

Today I had a thoroughly modern experience. I had the great good fortune to meet, in person, someone I have only known previously in cyberspace.

Ravelry is a knitter's (and other fiber enthusiast's) site that boasts over 4 million members. I mostly "hang out" (read: post) with a group of charity knitters who knit wool clothing that is sent across the world to children in the harshest environments. We laugh, we share patterns and techniques, we talk about ourselves and our families and our jobs, and we support each other as we all participate in a concerted effort to bring warmth to those who need it most. It's an awesome place. But today, I actually met one of the people whose full name I didn't even know, who I wouldn't recognize without some "signal" (like spies!), in a place I've never been before.

Long story short (I know, too late!), It was great fun! We chatted and ate Mexican food (Mi Casa restaurant in Benson, Arizona - great food, intimate atmosphere, I highly recommend the Chimichanga Arizona and the Carrot Cake) and had the kind folks at the table next to us take a photo:
My (now real life) friend, Sandy and me (that's me on the left)
Sandy even gave me a loaf of her homeade rye bread! It's excellent!

UPDATE: As I was getting ready to post this, I stopped to slice another piece of the delicious rye loaf, and since I can't really be trusted with sharp objects, I managed to slice my finger instead! After a brief stint sitting on the back steps of the Chinook until I passed out (no additional injuries sustained!) and then being shepherded into the car by Darell, we went to the Emergency Room in Benson. I can't recommend it highly enough! Fast, courteous service and four neat stitches! I'm typing this with one finger! And the bread was so good we even ate the slice with the blood on it when we got back! Joking, we're eating the bread, but there isn't any blood on it. The stitches come out in 10 days. Wine and Ibuprofen are my current best friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment