Monday, March 31, 2014

CAVE CREEK IN THE CHIRICAHUA MOUNTAINS

We're finally back to a speedy internet connection! I'll let the photos tell of what we've been up to the last 5 days or so. The Chiricahua Mountains have been burned, and many of the trails and campgrounds have been closed or destroyed due to the fire or to the erosion and subsequent flooding that follows such a disaster. Only the Sunny Flat and Stewart campgrounds are still open, but they are really wonderful spots, very popular with birders!


Finger's lookin' good! And it was only 3 stitches!

Sunny Flat campground site #11

Site#11 looking the other direction
My first Australian wine! I bought it at the close-by Portal store. I call it "Transcontinental Medication" since it eased the pain of the finger!
The hugest bee I've ever seen
A big black lizard
A distant view of the surrounding mountains
A horned toad on a dusty road
A small waterfall
A view on the Ash Spring Trail outside of Herb Martyr campground
Spider.
The last bit of the Ash Spring Trail, the road home
Ah, more wildlife
Here's a photo of the quaint Portal, AZ store where I bought (another - #2) bottle of Australian Moscato
This is supposed to be a birder's paradise, but we just saw this turkey...
Next day, the Portal Store again for yet another bottle of Moscato
A butterfly I spotted on the Nature Trail just outside of the campground
On our last day, we hiked a portion of the Burro Trail and I actually saw a "Trogon" - a little red-breasted bird that birders seek
At the top of the Burro Trail, we had lunch on this huge red rock overlooking a canyon
I saw at least 5 different butterflies I'd never seen before
There are oak trees, streams, flowers, grasses, and every once in a while, a cactus plant
A different cactus plant with 3 buds all in a row
A clear stream with colorful rocks

No comments:

Post a Comment