Wednesday, October 16, 2013

DESERT DAYS

A beautiful sunrise this a.m. at Anza-Borrego Palm Canyon Campground. However, lest one get the impression that it's all just fun and games out here on the road, I will recount an experience I had this morning. As I was undressed and about to pop into our 2' x 2' bathroom to get cleaned up, the Park Ranger pulled up in front our driveway, so I jumped back into my pajamas, in case he wanted to chat. By the time I was dressed, he'd gone. This time, I decided to disrobe in the bathroom, which I did, and then threw my pajamas out onto the dinette seat, whereupon my pajama tops toppled down, straight into the cat's water, to the sound of my Luke Skywalker "NOOOOOoooooooo!" Anyway, it's not all just a good time out here. Okay, yes it is.

Our hike today was a 3-mile round trip through desert to a Palm Oasis. The trail has been washed out by unexpected rain this season, and so it was a little more difficult than usual (we had to follow red plastic ribbons tied to trees to find our way). It's very hot (it's the desert) and it is suggested that each hiker take 1 gallon of water. People have died on this trail, according to the posted signs. There are also snakes. The following photos are chronological, beginning with the trail, the Palm Oasis, and some of the sights we saw (including a rattlesnake - thank goodness Darell was walking first; I would probably have fainted or squealed like pig caught in a fence):
Palm Canyon Trail

Getting closer to the Palm Oasis

The Palm Oasis (usually has something of a waterfall, now just a dribble and a trickle)

A froggy friend enjoying the trickle at the Oasis

View from the Oasis back toward the Trail

There are more butterflies here than you can imagine!

Here's a photo of the rattlesnake (Darell took this one):




2 comments:

  1. Sometimes I miss hiking, and other times I am glad there are no rattlers in my apartment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wildlife is nice, but not in one's home or the campground restroom...I always make a thorough inspection before entering either! Nice to see you, Otterwise! BTW, this campground is wonderfully set up for accessibility - the hike to the Visitor Center is nicely signed, with info re: length of trail, grade of trail, and surface type. Many of the campsites are accessible, lots of paved areas, and half off the nightly price (if you have a CA disabled discount pass) - if you ever get out here, check this place out!

    ReplyDelete