Tuesday, April 1, 2014

PANCHO VILLA STATE PARK IN NEW MEXICO

We're at Pancho Villa State Park in New Mexico. It's 80 degrees outside, but it is so windy that we can't really go out and sit - every time I go out and come back in, I do my impersonation of Judy Garland in the Wizard of Oz when she tries to open the storm door! And I think Darell's probably pretty tired of my "It's a twister, Auntie Em!" line! We just came here to rest and relax, so sitting around inside the Chinook is okay. And it's very quiet here, and peaceful (between gusts, that is!). At night you can see the many lights of the nearby town of Las Palomas, Mexico, which is within walking distance of the campground.

When we got here yesterday, the kind and informative volunteer at the visitor's center told us that there was a great horned owl sitting on her nest in a tree at the edge of the campground - it's awesome! I tried to get some photos, but I think she (the owl, not the volunteer) may have been hunkering down a bit because of the wind.

The nest from below

This is the owl from the back
The tree and nest from a distance (Mexico in the background)
I made this photo larger so you can see the owl's face - looks almost like a cat to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment