Thursday, April 3, 2014

MORE FANCY MOSCATO

Went to the city of Deming, New Mexico today to do a little grocery and other shopping. We're always on the lookout for any regional specialties we can find, and in the "Peppers" grocery store, we found that they were making their own tortillas right in the store! And since we hadn't eaten lunch, and even the pork cracklins were starting to look appealing, we bought a couple of packages. They were still warm! In New Mexico, it seems (at least in this area), all of the alcohol is separated from the rest of the groceries (in this case, in a little room by itself near the front of the store) and I entered it with high hopes of finding some of my beloved Red Moscato wine. There was a display of "Wines of New Mexico" and in the spirit of seeking regional delicacies I thought I'd try what they offered in the way of Moscato. I picked out a red moscato in a beautifully-shaped bottle with embossed glass butterflies and flowers. The brand is Podium. I also bought some other more pedestrian bottles, in case the local one was a fright. I posed it with the tortillas and the cat for a grand photo shoot displaying "local" interest. But after opening it, I looked to see where exactly in New Mexico it was made, and the label said "Wine of Moldova - Cahul Region, imported by Salveto Imports, McLean, VA" - LOL! The wikipedia article on Moldova - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moldova says that it is a landlocked Eastern European country located between Romania and Ukraine. It is the poorest country in Europe. You learn something new every day! Especially when you drink Moscato! I guess it just didn't sell when they put it on the "Eastern Europian - poorest country there" shelf!

Anyway, it tastes pretty good (more like a sweet-ish red than an actual moscato) and the bottle is really lovely, so I'm happy. Scout seems more interested in the tortillas.

No comments:

Post a Comment